All good things must come to an end. Who originally said that, by the way? They should have been shot on the spot.
Anyway, we are moving to Laredo tomorrow. I'm going to miss Corpus Christi (or Corpus Crispy as Grandma Torg lovingly calls it). I'm afraid we might be going from Heaven to Hell. But I'm trying to stay optimistic. =)
Why are we leaving Paradise for the City of the Damned? Because my husband's first language is Spanish and according to Wikipedia, Laredo is 97% hispanic. Yes, you read that right. 97% HISPANIC!!! I think I may be in for some culture shock! Oh, and here's another fun fact. Laredo is NUMBER ONE in auto theft in the entire nation! Apparently people will steal your car and run off to Mexico if you close your eyes to sneeze! Plus it is about 10 degrees hotter there and it is not a coastal town - so goodbye fabulous beaches. It's also the only city in the nation that does not have a bookstore (cry my eyes out). And we will be staying in extended stay hotel rooms without kitchens (but the company is going to buy us some make-shift kitchen equipment) rather than gorgeous, brand-new apartments. And just to kick me while I'm down, I found out I have to say goodbye to all my new buds. I think I'm the only wife lucky enough to go to Laredo! Oliver is going to be seriously pissed when he realizes he won't be able to play with "Leki" and "Kea" anymore. He loves those kids and asks for them all day long. He's still getting over the shock of leaving "Bamma Jani" and Kennedy behind.
But enough whining. The really big silver lining is that Enoc will probably make a lot more money there. We've heard really good things from guys who worked there last summer. So that definitely makes it worth it - as long as we're safe! But this sweet Mexican dude that came to fix our water heater last week assured us that Laredo is beautiful and wonderful and for the most part safe. He lived there for a long time and said he actually likes it better there than he does in Corpus Christi. So that was nice to hear. I'm still a little skeptical, though. Laredo is literally a hop, skip, and a jump from Mexico's Nuevo Laredo. And that place is decidedly scary!!! Apparently, according to sweet-Mexican-water-heater-dude, people will just open fire while you're enjoying your meal at the local restaurant! How can it be that much safer a cartwheel away??
Enoc's manager, Devin, promised me that if I hate it or don't feel safe we can come straight back here. So that's something. But despite all my complaints, I really don't think it's going to be that bad. Promise! Probably just reads scarier in print (a/k/a Wikipedia). Wish me luck guys!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
So... vacationing in Hell, not really for me, so see you in a few months Sniff!! LOL just kidding, I hope you don't get mugged or killed. At least you won't drown!
Hang in there! Before you know it, the summer will be over and you will be sad to leave. Have lots of fun adventures while you're out there!
Post a Comment